1889. Original manuscript. One page, quarto. Handwritten by order of Colonel Peter T. Swaine, 22nd Infantry Regiment, commander of Fort Keogh, in part: "...the A.C.S. will issue to the troops of this Command, seven-hundred and fifty (750) pounds of Canned Corned Beef and one-hundred and ninety (190) Cans of Baked Beans, the former in lieu of bacon, to prevent deterioration and ultimate loss to the Government...." Signed by the Post Adjutant on behalf of Col. Swaine. Written in sepia ink on lined paper and ruled in red ink. Dated August 6th, 1889 . 9.75" x 7.5". Light damp stain at left margin. Good. Item #039919
Fort Keogh was built on the south bank of the Yellowstone River in 1876, just after the Battle of Little Bighorn. Its mission was to stop the Cheyenne and Sioux from escaping to Canada. Originally called theTongue River Cantonment, the name was changed in 1878 to honor Captain Myles Keogh, killed at Little Bighorn.